22/01/2013

Rinse

I don't usually listen to the radio - only in the car when my mum is giving me a lift to somewhere, and I usually plug my headphones in, because most pop is tacky and questionable. However, this week, whilst reading something about one of my favourite artists, Katy B, I came across something that mentioned how she got popular from the station Rinse FM, and how she frequently works with the head.

Rinse FM was at one point London's most popular pirate radio station. However, a few years back, Rinse was finally given a broadcasting license by Ofcom. Now, I like a bit of garage and dubstep as some of you may know, and this + some decent R&B (No Beyonce/Rihanna here), can make for some good tracks. I've been listening to Rinse FM for a few days, and I've liked more or less every track - some are bassy, some fast and heavy, some slow and ambient. There's also minimal ads, if any, and you don't hear too much talk-show, just good tunes, for those who are in to this sort of music. 106.8FM is the frequency, but you can also listen online or through Tunein or Nobex or something like that.

On another note, whilst listening to 'Hard To Get' by Katy B, the song in which she strangely talks the listener through her 'thank yous', and then at the end, she tells us that she supports all pirate radio stations, especially the ones that play/have played her songs over the years - I think this is a really good thing, because she's showing that just because a station isn't licensed, doesn't mean it wont play some damn good tunes.

No comments: